North Rustico is a village located in the northern part of Queens County,
Prince Edward Island. It became an incorporated municipality in 1954. The
village is known to locals, as well as many others as "The Crick". The village
is part of the Cavendish beaches and the Duneshores Tourism Association, and
accounts for a large part of the Island's north shore resort area. The nearby National Park offers pristine sandy beaches for sun-seekers while
offers a wide variety of shopping venues, restaurants and other attractions
North Rustico is well known for its Canada day celebration every year on July 1. The event usually attracts in excess of 10,000 people, which packs the village quite full, it includes festivities in the park, a parade down main street, as well as a boat parade on Rustico Harbour. The celebration is popular among families, and among teenagers and adults. The day is completed around 10:00 p.m. by a fireworks display over the bay.
North Rustico's primary industries in order of importance are fishing, tourism and agriculture. Located 30 km northwest of Charlottetown, the village is increasingly becoming an exurb with residents commuting to work in the city.
During the short summer tourist season on Prince Edward Island in July and August, the village's proximity to the Prince Edward Island National Park results in a temporary population expansion. Visitors can choose from a wide variety of accommodations, B & B's, Cottages, Campgrounds, Hotels/Motels, while local activities abound for all those who enjoy the fun summer brings.
The fishing industry remains the village's most important economic activity, with approximately 40 vessels home-ported in a small craft harbour. Lobster fishing is the main focus for much of the fleet and during May and June fresh north shore P.E.I lobster can be bought in a fish market on the harbour wharves or directly off of the boats."Fisherman's Wharf Lobster Suppers" and the "Blue Mussel Cafe" are popular places to enjoy the fresh seafood of Prince Edward Island .
In the summer, this village is one of the Island's most popular destinations. On a warm summer evening, dozens of people can be found strolling the village's waterfront boardwalk, which overlooks the bay and fishing docks.
The village of North Rustico was founded circa "1790", around a small natural harbour along the Gulf of St. Lawrence coast. The region was home to a remnant Acadian population who fled British capture and deportation during the Seven Years' War, although English, Scottish and Irish settlers moved into the area during the remainder of the 18th century and throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.
The Name Rustico Comes from Rassicot, who was one of the first settlers from France.
The Farmers' Bank of Rustico, founded and managed under the leadership of Father Georges-Antoine Belcourt, received Royal Assent for its act of incorporation at the Court of Windsor on April 7, 1864. It is often considered to have been the first community-based bank in Canada.