The Town of Stratford is located immediately to the southeast of the
Capital City of Charlottetown,
the provincial capital and largest municipality in Prince Edward Island. The
Town is situated on a peninsula, bounded by the Hillsborough River,
Charlottetown Harbour, Hillsborough Bay and Fullerton's Marsh. To the south are
the communities of Alexandra and Pownal and to the east is the community of Mt.
While the Town represents a somewhat natural geographic region, the one obvious anomaly is the area often referred to as "Bunbury District", essentially the area between the former community of Bunbury and Fullerton's Marsh. During the discussions on municipal amalgamation the Town recommended the incorporation of this area into the new Town boundaries but as yet it remains an unincorporated region surrounded by the Town on two sides and the natural boundary of Fullerton's Marsh and the Hillsborough River on the other.
The Stratford area was first settled in the 1750's when several Acadian families settled in the Bunbury area. Stratford was incorporated on April 1, 1995, and Stratford is now the fastest growing community on PEI.